Senaste nytt
finewines.se

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Som flera kanske har märkt är sig finewines.se inte sig likt rent utseendemässigt! En uppgradering av forumets mjukvara har genomförts och temat kommer successivt att uppdateras för att bättre matcha vår tidigare färgprofil! Eventuella buggar eller feedback tas tacksamt emot i den här forumtråden!

Bordeaux 2014

Trådskapare
StefanAkiko

StefanAkiko

Återgår till pendeldrickning post-COVID.
Nu, då 2014 kampanjen för Bdx en primeur börjar vara överstånden, så konstaterar jag kallt att det för egen del evt blir någon flaska Suduiraut. Letade efter försäljningsstatistik för årets kampanj, men hittade ingen bra. Snubblade dock över en artikel på Wine-Searcher som flåshurtigt andas dumfransk pompös idioti. Men, i kommentarsfältet finns många bra kommentarer, ssk den första tycker jag andas vettiga tankar på ett moget vis.
Du kan annars läsa artikeln mm här.

Artikel Wine-Searcher skrev:
Bordeaux to Ignore Calls for Lower Prices
Bordeaux-glass-10005118.jpg

© CIVB/M.Anglada
Hopes of price restraint are dashed as châteaux look to cash in on a better vintage.
By Adam Lechmere | Posted Tuesday, 31-Mar-2015
Bordeaux producers have indicated that they are highly unlikely to heed pleas from their customers to keep 2014 prices down.

At the first tastings of the 2014 en primeur week, château owners have said that prices will be higher than recent vintages, to reflect the quality of the vintage, which they believe is one of the best of the last decade.

Owners have indicated that prices will have to be set higher than the much-criticized 2013 vintage, "because that vintage would be condemned – if we set prices at 2013 levels no one would see any reason to buy 2013", said Didier Cuvelier, owner of Château Léoville Poyferré.

Paul Pontallier, the managing director of Château Margaux, told Wine Searcher: "It would be fair to say that prices should go up. 2014 is very good – almost great – but we have to pay attention to the market."

For this reason it is likely that there will be a "goodwill gesture" to woo back disaffected buyers, he said. "Everyone wants to buy and we want to sell, so we will find a some way of accommodating that," he added.

At this early stage of the en primeur campaign no one is willing to expand on what that goodwill gesture might be.

It is, however, highly unlikely that owners will respond to the call by British merchants – in an open letter published in January this year – for 2014 prices to be set at the same level as the 2008 vintage.

Château Palmer's managing director Thomas Duroux has revealed that it s 2014 vintage will be "the same price as 2012", which was 88 percent higher than the 2008 vintage on release.

Conditions today are radically different to those in 2008, Pontallier said. "The merchants went too far with that request."

Bruno Borie, the owner of second growth Ducru Beaucaillouagreed. "Costs have gone up since 2008. Seven years ago we were facing a global financial crisis, things were very different. It's not appropriate to say that prices should be set at 2008 levels."

Borie and others made the point that the US dollar and UK sterling are now strong against a weak euro, and such favorable conditions convinced him of the logic of raising prices.

"For me, the price of 2014 has to be higher than 2013. The wine is better and financial conditions are better."

At Château Montrose, managing director Hervé Berland told Wine Searcher that, in setting the price, they would look back at vintages of a similar quality, such as 2010, with the understanding that "there is no way we can be a similar price" to that famously expensive vintage. "We will be slightly higher than last year," he said, adding that prices would be announced quickly, "before the middle of May".

As for the merchants, while they seem to be happy with the quality of the wines, few are optimistic that prices are going to attractive enough for them to sell with enthusiasm.

"The wines are good but they're going to ruin it with high prices," one UK importer said.

Another merchant, George Derbalian of Atherton Wine Imports of California, added: "The dollar is stronger and I'm cautiously optimistic. But if prices are too high we won't buy. What's in it for me to sell Bordeaux?"

Kommentarerna:
  • Comments
    David in Orlando wrote:
    05-Apr-2015 at 13:16:24 (GMT)
    You know, the clueless arrogance of the these chateaux is stunning. At the basic business level, the law of supply and demand evidently escapes them. Selling 50% of one's inventory at inflated prices is not as good as selling 90% of inventory at the inflated price minus 30%. You then have the added -and critical - benefit of clearing the supply chain. But these folks aren't stupid. Their issues run deeper. These are the same people running the EU. There is an ingrained, elitist mentality which governs their decision-making and doesn't move beyond "you owe it me to buy my product at my prices." Which is fine if the product is in high demand, but, by their own admission (and objective sales figures), it isn't.

As others who have commented below, I have a minority allocation (20%) to Bordeaux in my cellar. Of course I would have more if the pricing were not a concern.....Bordeaux is terrific. So is Brunello, Barolo, Chateauneuf, Cali Cab, etc., and the sooner these Chateaux come to terms with the fact that the level of quality and drinking pleasure (not to mention approachability) delivered by these
    appellations rival their beloved Bordeaux, the sooner they will realize they are in a competitive business and begin marketing and pricing their product accordingly. I would rather spend a C-note on wine from any of those appellations over Bordeaux because I don't have the stink of chateaux arrogance attached to the purchase. They say they want the American market back. We Americans are an awfully forgiving lot and I think if there were a genuine mea culpa and demonstrable change in attitude and pricing, they could have it.

As for Mark and his comments below, I couldn't agree more about pricing for Cali Cab. It reminds me a little of Burgundy, where a $100+ bottle is hardly a guarantor of quality and great drinking experience. There are some very good bottles of Burgundy in the $75-$100 range if you look for them, but it takes some doing. At least they have the excuse of very small production which leads to maximizing every dollar on every bottle. Many of the classified growth Bordeaux have 20k-30k case production, which makes the pricing even more head-scratching. Okay, I think I have it out of my system now. Thanks for the forum to vent. It's Easter Sunday, which at its most basic is about reflection, renewal, and second chances. I'm going to work on myself.....Bordeaux may consider the same.

• Mark boren wrote:
    05-Apr-2015 at 01:28:11 (GMT)
    39 year old Bordeaux collector here. I am proud to say about 65% of my 3,000 bottles plus are Bordeaux, from 2005 to current. I am the " nobody" that buys Bordeaux every year regardless of vintage. There are years I buy less and years I buy more but always buy.

William makes a great point that is true with my wine collecting friends. It's just me that buys Bordeaux with passion. They all love imbibing with me when I open a older vintage auction bottle, talk about it for day's after. Personally I love the romance of vintages past, laying bottles down for years or decades. What is lost with my peers and younger drinkers is the old saying " good thing come to those who wait". Bordeaux is still a world wine standard. You will never here Bordeaux say " this is a Napa style blend" or make a new IGT standard so Bordeaux like wines can be made.
    How about a $1,200.00 bottle of screaming eagle or endless 200 plus bottles of napa cab? Where is the out rage for Napa prices? The 1855 classification made a standard of wine that was not made for the masses but for a few. The every day unclassified can be bought at a very fair market price and 09,10 had plenty.

• alec wrote:
    04-Apr-2015 at 18:12:52 (GMT)
    I can't wait until the bottom falls out and they have to sell large amounts of stock off for pennies. Screw these greedy houses their wines are not nearly as good as they used to be.

• Anthony Kelly wrote:
    03-Apr-2015 at 23:18:35 (GMT)
    Since I work in a major wine store in upstate NY I have noticed that we are selling a LOT less Bordeaux. The only customers who want Bordeaux are the ones over 50. If this trend continues, the Bordeaux Chateaux will have a much smaller market to sell to. And as the youth of today mature, acquire wealth and become interested in finer wines, they will go to Spain, Italy and other regions that they have some experience with. I also worry that in the medium term future that some of the negociants will go out of business due to cash flow problems of being unable to sell the inventory that they have.

• Dids wrote:
    03-Apr-2015 at 13:56:02 (GMT)
    When will they understand, that no one will buy 2011, 2012 and 2013 at current prices, whether 2014 are low than them or not. These vintages will languish in the Chateaux cellar. The only way they will get merchants to buy them is if they tie purchase of the next great vintage into these weak vintages. Even then it might cause a revolt amongst the merchants.

• William wrote:
    02-Apr-2015 at 21:11:45 (GMT)
    I fall into the millennial generation, and I find that the majority of my peers are not interested in Bordeaux, especially red. Only a handful of my most wine-interested friends own any Bordeaux (They have 82's, 90's, 05's ect). Those that don't collect it almost never drink it at all.

The high prices, years of aging required, and potential for spoiling or faking of older vintages all create barriers to entry, or even interest, in red Bordeaux.

Personally, I have collected upwards of 2,500 bottles of which maybe 20-25 are red bordeaux. This underrepresentation highlights the problem for the region. What I have are highly rated 05's, 09's and 10's, but they will not be "ready" for years. I find the red wines of the Rhone, Sonoma, Italy, Portugal, Australia, and Spain are more compelling for daily drinking and certainly offer better value.

Supply and demand are what they are. But with the Chinese now in moderation mode, I think Bordeaux is overestimating its name value and alienating the new wine drinking generation.

• Robert Chadderdon wrote:
    02-Apr-2015 at 17:17:35 (GMT)
    "Financial conditions are better..." Absolutely true, if you own a classified growth in Bordeaux. Not so much for the rest of us here on planet Earth.

• Charles wrote:
    02-Apr-2015 at 13:01:13 (GMT)
    This is so typical. Since they arent buying the 2013 vintage lets raise the 2014 prices. This wont sell just like the last five vintages havent. Many 2009 and 2010 are hitting the market right now at the same original prices. Keep doing the same thing and get stuck with more stock.

• Richard wrote:
    02-Apr-2015 at 08:55:53 (GMT)
    Its sheer genius.

"We can't price the 2014s at a sensible level because then no one will buy the 2013s. So what we'll do is price the 2014s at a level where no one will buy them OR the 2013s"

Just brilliant.

• Hugh wrote:
    02-Apr-2015 at 08:28:00 (GMT)
    It is interesting to see that M. Cuvelier is ooncerned that if prices for 2014 are sensible, no one will buy 2013 ... they will (and are) but only at very discounted prices, a burden that has had to be taken by negociants, merchants and private buyers ... is there any particular reason that producers alone should be exempt from market forces?

• Marc wrote:
    01-Apr-2015 at 20:54:57 (GMT)
    Anyone who can afford to buy en primeur already has back stock to drink until the prices normalize... just wait for the market to correct.

• Reece Clarke wrote:
    01-Apr-2015 at 13:46:00 (GMT)
    Wow....'Good Will Gesture'. So arrogant. I think everybody should send a goodwill gesture back, don't touch the vintage with a bargepole. Its the customer that holds the power and they will simply look to buy more affordable wines elsewhere. The Bordelais will have to build larger cellars and warehouses to hold the stock they cannot sell. Then common sense one day may prevail.

• Richard wrote:
    01-Apr-2015 at 10:11:54 (GMT)
    And so any hope of a decent campaign this year flies out of the window.

Those who bought in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 haven either lost money or tied money up for two years for no return. Where is the incentive to buy en primeur?

Hardly any wine was sold in the lat three years. It will be the same this year. The negociants are drowning in unsold stock. Could another awful campaign break some of them?

Last edited:

gece

Man vänjer sig.
Angående kommentaren Selling 50% of one's inventory at inflated prices is not as good as selling 90% of inventory at the inflated price minus 30%, börjar inte chateauxerna bygga upp lager med äldre årgångar nu för att sälja dyrare sen? Klart de kränger 50% till överpris, och använder överskottet för att investera i eget vin.

Trådskapare
StefanAkiko

StefanAkiko

Angående kommentaren Selling 50% of one's inventory at inflated prices is not as good as selling 90% of inventory at the inflated price minus 30%, börjar inte chateauxerna bygga upp lager med äldre årgångar nu för att sälja dyrare sen? Klart de kränger 50% till överpris, och använder överskottet för att investera i eget vin.
Det som komplicerar det hela är ju att man måste plocka in kapitalkostnaden i ekvationen. Dvs, tjänar vi mer pengar på att få in 1 MEuro idag jmf med att få in 2 MEuro om 7 år (minus lagerkostnader, försäkringar, svinn, osv)? För om vi får in 1MEuro idag, kan vi ju investera den miljonen nu, och med en avkastning på ca 7% kommer den miljonen att ge MER pengar om 7 år.

(Dock, detta är ett helt hypotetiskt exempel, i verkligheten ingår väldigt många fler faktorer och hänsyn.)

gece

Man vänjer sig.
Det som komplicerar det hela är ju att man måste plocka in kapitalkostnaden i ekvationen. Dvs, tjänar vi mer pengar på att få in 1 MEuro idag jmf med att få in 2 MEuro om 7 år (minus lagerkostnader, försäkringar, svinn, osv)? För om vi får in 1MEuro idag, kan vi ju investera den miljonen nu, och med en avkastning på ca 7% kommer den miljonen att ge MER pengar om 7 år.

(Dock, detta är ett helt hypotetiskt exempel, i verkligheten ingår väldigt många fler faktorer och hänsyn.)
Därav överpriser idag, tänker jag. Istället för att sälja 100% för 2M nu säljer man 50% för 1,5M vilket ju ändrar bilden lite.

vintomas

Numera lågaktiv bloggare
Från artikeln:
Owners have indicated that prices will have to be set higher than the much-criticized 2013 vintage, "because that vintage would be condemned – if we set prices at 2013 levels no one would see any reason to buy 2013", said Didier Cuvelier, owner of Château Léoville Poyferré.

Varför ska man alls köpa Bordeaux 2013 är väl snarast frågan man bör ställa sig? Deras problem ända sedan årgång 2011 har varit att de i många fall har satt priserna högre än vad mogna årgångar, som är lika bra eller bättre, kostar på auktion... Frågeställningen avslöjar också att de inte direkt har sålt 90% av årgången 2013 en primeur.
Förutom någon 2011:a till en munskänkskurs har jag hittills köpt exakt en flaska av Bordeaux-årgångarna 2011-2013, en Y 2012 (Yquems torra). Det kommer nog att bli lite efterköp av Sauternes 2011 så småningom, och jag har inte helt dömt ut 2012 än. Men det är bra mycket mer intressant med auktionsköp av årgångar från sent 1990-tal/tidigt 2000-tal än de senaste årgångarna.

Sedan har jag förståelse för de giriga châteauägarna i ett avseende: den traditionella brittiska vinhandels rop på lägre priser kommer sig inte enbart av att de företräder konsumentintresset. De vill helt enkelt ha tillbaka hyggligt feta marginaler för de egna köpen, och har en primeur-pris som är så lågt att det finns bra förutsättningar att priserna ökar rätt mycket på 1-2 år till utleverans av flaskorna.

Last edited:

magnum

Epernay, Frankrike
Från artikeln:

Varför ska man alls köpa Bordeaux 2013 är väl snarast frågan man bör ställa sig? Deras problem ända sedan årgång 2011 har varit att de i många fall har satt priserna högre än vad mogna årgångar, som är lika bra eller bättre, kostar på auktion... Frågeställningen avslöjar också att de inte direkt har sålt 90% av årgången 2013 en primeur.
Förutom någon 2011:a till en munskänkskurs har jag hittills köpt exakt en flaska av Bordeaux-årgångarna 2011-2013, en Y 2012 (Yquems torra). Det kommer nog att bli lite efterköp av Sauternes 2011 så småningom, och jag har inte helt dömt ut 2012 än. Men det är bra mycket mer intressant med auktionsköp av årgångar från sent 1990-tal/tidigt 2000-tal än de senaste årgångarna.
Underlig kommentar men det är klart är tanken konstig så blir väl uttalandet därefter. Jäkligt bra viner gör han dock!

Trådskapare
StefanAkiko

StefanAkiko

Underlig kommentar men det är klart är tanken konstig så blir väl uttalandet därefter. Jäkligt bra viner gör han dock!
Sen kan man ju inte heller lita på att journalister verkligen refererar hela "sanningen" då vinklingen ju alltid kommer före...

(Och inkompetensen, ambitionslösheten, oförståelsen för ämnet och dess ramar, dåligt tagna anteckningar, dåliga förberedelser...)

Segol

Medlem
Han gör väldigt bra viner så det känns ännu surare att han säger nåt sånt, jag har gynnat den filuren en del under åren...

Vino fino

Medlem
Både Decanter och RVF kör stora Bdx 2014-specialer nu. Kan bli en intressant årgång. Pontallier säger om kvaliteten: "frågan är om den är den sämsta av de stora årgångarna, eller den bästa av de mindre årgångarna". 2001 nämns som liknande. Inte mig emot, om det stämmer.

Angående utgångpriserna så motiverade sig Oliver Bernard med "på nivå med 2008, plus 6 års inflation, plus valutaeffekter" (någonstans runt 25% över 2008). Håller han sitt löfte så tänker jag köpa Dom. de Chevalier.

Den stora skandalen här är nog inte 2014, utan '11,'12, och '13 som släpptes alldeles alldeles för dyrt. Samtidigt kanske det var bra, för en primeur-systemet börjar luckras upp och det finns en upparbetad vrede hos negocianter och importörer som sitter med sina lager som de tvingats ta för att få vara med i systemet.

magnum

Epernay, Frankrike
Både Decanter och RVF kör stora Bdx 2014-specialer nu. Kan bli en intressant årgång. Pontallier säger om kvaliteten: "frågan är om den är den sämsta av de stora årgångarna, eller den bästa av de mindre årgångarna". 2001 nämns som liknande. Inte mig emot, om det stämmer.

Angående utgångpriserna så motiverade sig Oliver Bernard med "på nivå med 2008, plus 6 års inflation, plus valutaeffekter" (någonstans runt 25% över 2008). Håller han sitt löfte så tänker jag köpa Dom. de Chevalier.

Den stora skandalen här är nog inte 2014, utan '11,'12, och '13 som släpptes alldeles alldeles för dyrt. Samtidigt kanske det var bra, för en primeur-systemet börjar luckras upp och det finns en upparbetad vrede hos negocianter och importörer som sitter med sina lager som de tvingats ta för att få vara med i systemet.
¨6 års inflation och valuta effekter¨Hur tänker han då? :confused:

magnum

Epernay, Frankrike
Dollarns uppgång på 30% mot € på lite drygt ett år får man väl anta.
Förvisso men för de med Euro ser det dyrt ut. Han verkar heller inte ta till sig att 2008 stått still i pris många 2010 och del 2009 minskat i pris. För mig blir det knasigt att köpa 2014 när man kan handla tex 2008 för liknande pris som dessutom går att öppna och dricka redan ikväll. Önskar dom använt den här metodiken när 2009 och 2010 lanserades;)

chambertin

Medlem
Förvisso men för de med Euro ser det dyrt ut. Han verkar heller inte ta till sig att 2008 stått still i pris många 2010 och del 2009 minskat i pris. För mig blir det knasigt att köpa 2014 när man kan handla tex 2008 för liknande pris som dessutom går att öppna och dricka redan ikväll. Önskar dom använt den här metodiken när 2009 och 2010 lanserades;)
Håller med dig i allt det du säger. Primörer över huvud taget känns idag helt fel. Indexen för hajpade Bdx-årgångar har pekat nedåt ett tag nu dessutom, negocernas position känns mer och mer tveksam då fler slott håller tillbaka volymer för att sälja senare. Kinamarknaden saktade in när "partiet" drog igång sin offensiv mot gåvor m.m.
Dock så är ju en ganska stor del av Bdx:s export mot $-ekonomier så dom vill väl få en del av de ländernas ökande köpkraft.

Trådskapare
StefanAkiko

StefanAkiko

Recap från Chicago Wine Company:

2014 Bordeaux Futures Recap

Wine WA WS Suckling Per Bottle
Alter Ego de Palmer 90-92 90-93 92-93 $ 52.95
Beau Sejour Becot 91-93 91-94 90-91 $ 47.95
Bellefont Belcier 91-93 90-91 $ 33.95
Bellevue 87-89 90-93 93-94 $ 38.95
Beychevelle 91-93 91-94 93-94 $ 60.95
Branaire Ducru 90-92 91-94 92-93 $ 42.50
Brane Cantenac 91-93 87-90 92-93 $ 44.95
Canon 93-95 90-93 95-96 $ 55.50
Canon la Gaffeliere 90-92 93-96 93-94 $ 58.50
Cantemerle 87-89 90-93 93-94 $ 26.95
Capbern Gasqueton 89-91 90-93 $ 18.95
Clerc Milon 90-92 91-94 91-92 $ 46.95
Clinet 89-91? 91-94 91-92 $ 61.95
Clos Fourtet 90-92 92-95 91-92 $ 72.50
Cos d'Estournel 93-95 96-97 $ 112.50
d'Armailhac 88-90 90-93 93-94 $ 34.95
Doisy Daene 95-97 95-98 90-91 $ 38.95
Domaine de Chevalier 92-94 90-93 93-94 $ 47.95
du Tertre 90-92 88-91 92-93 $ 30.95
Duhart Milon 89-91 91-94 91-92 $ 57.50
Feytit Clinet 91-93 88-89 $ 47.50
Figeac 93-95 93-96 94-95 $ 83.95
Fleur Cardinale 89-91 90-93 90-91 $ 35.50
Gazin 91-93 90-93 $ 55.95
Giscours 89-91 90-93 92-93 $ 39.95
Gloria 89-91 89-92 92-93 $ 31.50
Grand Corbin Despagne 90-92 88-91 $ 24.95
Grand Mayne 91-93 89-92 89-90 $ 31.95
Grand Puy Lacoste 93-95 93-96 93-94 $ 55.95
Gruaud Larose 89-92 93-94 $ 55.50
Guiraud 93-95 94-97 92-93 $ 43.50
Haut Bailly 91-93 93-94 $ 60.95
Haut Batailley 91-93 88-91 91-92 $ 33.95
Haut Brion 93-95 95-98 95-96 $ 319.50
La Conseillante 92-94 94-95 $ 91.95
La Gaffeliere 87-89? 90-93 93-94 $ 47.95
La Lagune 91-93 87-90 91-92 $ 41.95
La Mission Haut Brion 95-97 93-96 94-95 $ 194.50
La Pointe 89-91 89-92 $ -
Labegorce 91-93+ 87-90 90-91 $ 23.95
Langoa Barton 91-93 91-94 92-93 $ 41.95
Larcis Ducasse 91-93 92-95 93-94 $ 51.95
Latour Martillac 90-93 90-93 $ 29.50
L'Eglise Clinet 93-95 92-95 94-95 $ 179.50
Leoville Barton 92-94 92-95 92-93 $ 61.95
Leoville Las Cases 94-96 94-97 96-97 $ 127.50
Leoville Poyferre 91-93 92-95 93-94 $ 61.95
Les Carmes Haut Brion 90-92 89-92 92-93 $ 46.95
L'Evangile 92-94 93-96 91-92 $ 119.50
Malartic Lagraviere 91-93 91-94 93-94 $ 38.50
Malescot St Exupery 90-92 92-95 93-94 $ 42.95
Margaux 93-95 94-97 94-95 $ 319.50
Monbousquet 89-91 92-95 90-91 $ 39.50
Montlandrie 89-91 89-92 89-90 $ 19.95
Palmer 93-95 93-96 94-95 $ 209.50
Pape Clement 93-95 91-94 93-94 $ 69.50
Pavie 94-96 94-97 93-94 $ 229.95
Pavie Decesse 89-91 92-95 92-93 $ 132.50
Pavie Macquin 91-93 93-96 92-93 $ 58.50
Pichon Baron 92-94 92-95 95-96 $ 89.95
Pichon Lalande 93-95 92-95 93-94 $ 88.95
Pontet Canet 93-95 95-96 $ 89.95
Prieure Lichine 90-92 89-92 92-932 $ 32.95
Rauzan Segla 90-92 89-92 94-95 $ 55.50
Smith Haut Lafitte 92-94 93-96 95-96 $ 64.95
Talbot 89-91+ 90-93 94-95 $ 42.50
Troplong Mondot 91-93 92-95 93-94 $ 77.50
Villemaurine 89-91 91-92 $ 31.95

Patrik Sellin

fd Innertällmo Bryggeri
2014 verkar vara en bra årgång för vitt och för Sauternes:
priset på Doisy Daenes torra är helt överkomligt - är det någon som har erfarenhet av den?

Toppen